If you go to the start menu and click the shutdown button to shut down the computer, Windows 10 doesn’t shut down. If you’ve tried several times to shut down the computer, and you’re only seeing a screen where Windows is telling you “Shutting down,” but Windows is not getting shutdown.
Therefore, In this guide, we will walk you through the 3 ways to fix the Windows 10 shutdown problem.
Windows 10 won’t shut down
Method 1: Update Intel (R) Management Engine Interface Driver
- First of all, open the Run box, and then type devmgmt.msc in the Run box to open the Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, find the System Device, then click the dropdown arrow button to expand the device Drivers.
- Right-click the Intel (R) Management Engine Interface, then select the properties option.
- In the properties window, navigate to the Driver tab and check the Driver date and version. If the driver is outdated, click the update driver button to update the driver.
- Select the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
In case Windows is unable to find the latest driver, you should use the Intel Driver support assistant tool. The Intel Driver support assistant automatically scans all the Device drivers and notify you if any driver is to be updated.
Method 2: Run Powercfg Command
Powercfg is used to control the power management options, for more information read the Powercfg command-line option from Microsoft docs.
- First of all, open the Command Prompt admin.
- In the command prompt, type the command “powercfg h off” and then hit the enter button to execute the command.
This command disables hibernation. Once it is finished, exit the command prompt, and see if you can shut down the computer now.
Method 3: Disable Fast Startup
- First of all, open the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, select the Power Option>Choose the what power button do>Change settings that are currently unavailable.
Power Option>Choose the what power button do
Change settings that are currently unavailable
- Disable the “Turn on fast startup (Recommended)” option using a check box, then click the save changes.
Now see if you can shut down the computer.
I hope you’re able to shut down the computer now. If you’re still having problem to shut down the computer, hold down the power button until the laptop shut down.