Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) server is built into Windows operating system. Microsoft refers to their official Remote Desktop Protocol as a Remote Desktop connection that by default listens on TCP port 3389 and UDP port 3389. Through the Remote Desktop connection, you can connect to a vai through a private network or public network.
On Windows, the firewall is used to allowing outbound and inbound network requests.
Allow RDP Port port through Windows Firewall
- Click the Start Menu button.
- Then, click the Setting Gear icon to open the Windows Settings.
- On Windows 10, open the Update & security, and on Windows 11, open the Privacy & security.
- Then, select the Windows Security.
- Click the Firewall & network protection.
- This opens a new Firewall & network protection window.
- Click the link Allow an app through firewall.
- This opens a new Firewall window.
- Click the Change settings.
- Find the Remote Desktop Connection in the list, if it is not there, click the Allow another app.
- Click the Browse button.
- Select the Program mstsc.exe from the C:\Windows\System32.
- Click the Add.
- To allow Remote Desktop connection for only local network, check the private option. To allow publicy, check the Public option.
- Click the OK.
Now you have successfully allowed the Remote Desktop Connection through the firewall.
Check RDP port if opening and listening
Before you go to the next step connecting to a computer through a Remote Desktop Connection. Make sure, the RDP port 3389 is open and hear the incoming request. Follow the below steps to check the RDP port status.
- Open the Windows PowerShell.
- Run the following command:
- tnc 192.168.1.1 -port 3389
- Replace the IP address 192.168.1.1 with your computer IPv4 address. You can find the IP address of the computer from the connected network properties or use the ipconfig command in the command prompt.
- The value TcpTestSucceede should be True.
Once you test the RDP port, you can go to the next step and connect to a computer through Remote Desktop Connection.
This is all about the to open RDP port to allow Remote Desktop Connection. I hope this guide is helpful for you, if you having errors, feel free to comment below.