One of the annoying things is when the computer gets slow down due to background services. If you’ve recently opened the Task Manager to check what is causing the slow system performance, you found that a Windows process called Modern Setup Host is consuming CPU and Disk resources very intensively.
What is the Modern Setup Host?
Modern Setup Host is also known as SetupHost.exe, is a Microsoft Windows process that runs in the background when the Windows updates are being installed. The Modern Setup Host (SetupHost.exe) is a part of the Windows operating system responsible for installing the Windows updates.
Modern Setup Host only runs between the time the update is installing; once it is finished its job, it gets shut down itself. If you’re installing a feature or any big update, this service may remain in the background for a long-time until the update installation finishes.
This can be a big issue for you when you’re doing some critical work on the computer, and you need performance; a modern Setup Host can start at any time to do its job and slow down your work by eating CPU and disk resources. This process can use as high as 100% CPU and disk resources, and this may cause the system to be slow or unresponsive.
Usually, this process runs only for 15-20 minutes and gone itself when it has completed its job. To install major updates, this process may need to run for a long time in the background.
In this guide, we will walk you through the steps to fix the Modern Setup Host (SetupHost.exe) High CPU and Disk usage issue.
Modern Setup Host: Fix – High CPU and High Disk Usage
Since it is a process to install the windows updates, it will be best to wait for a while and let this process complete. If the update is not very big, this should only run for about 15-20 minutes in the background and then go away, and this also depends on the computer performance.
If you want to get rid of this Modern Setup Host process, follow the steps.
1. Kill the Modern Setup Host process
You can directly kill this process on the Task Manager. Open the Task Manager using the “ctrl + shift + Esc” key, find the Modern Setup Host or SetupHost.exe process, right-click it, and select End Task.
Once you do this, the process should end. This process will start again when you boot your PC next time.
This is a temporary solution to fix this error. If you want this process to never run in the background, you will have to disable the Windows automatic update service.
If you disable the Windows update service, then Windows will not install the update, and thereby the Modern Setup Host will never run in the background.
However, disabling the Windows update service is not recommended because updates are important for any device.
Disable Windows update service
Detailed article about: How to Stop Windows 10 Update
Follow the steps to disable the Windows automatic update service.
- Press the “Windows Logo + R” shortcut key to open the run box.
- Type services.msc in the Run box, then hit the enter button.
- This will open the Services window.
- Find the Windows Update service.
- Right-click the Window Update service and select the Properties.
- On the General tab, first, stop the service, after that from the Startup type dropdown menu, select the Disabled option.
- Click the Apply and OK.
- Exit the Services window.
- Restart the computer.
- Go to Windows 10’s settings and check for updates; you should receive the error code as the Windows update service is disabled.
2. Run Windows Update troubleshooter
If the Modern Setup Host is not going away, and consuming all of your CPU and Disk resources, and making the computer slow, then try to run the built-in Windows update troubleshooter. If there is a problem in installing an update, the Windows update troubleshooter will find the problem and fix it.
However, Windows update troubleshooter comes only built-in in Windows 10.
Follow the steps to run the Windows update troubleshooter.
- Open Windows 10’s settings.
- Go to the Update & Security.
- Select the Troubleshoot option.
- On the Troubleshoot page, click the Additional troubleshooters.
- Under the “Get up and running,” select the Window Update.
- Click the Run the troubleshooter button to run the troubleshooter.
- Wait for a while until Windows is detecting the problems.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to fix the error.
3. Delete the updates and install them again
In some cases, when the update gets stuck on installing, the Modern Setup Host may be trying to install the update but getting failed. Now, you should delete the updates, then download and install them again.
- Fix: Windows 10 Update Stuck While Downloading the Update
- fix: Windows Update Pending Install in Windows 10
Follow the steps to delete the updates.
- Click the Start Menu, and search for “CMD”.
- Right-click the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Run the following commands respectively in the command prompt.
command: net stop bits command: net stop wuauserv
This command will stop Windows update and Background intelligent transfer service..
- Press the “Windows Logo + R” shortcut key to open the Run box.
- Type SoftwareDistribution in the Run box then hit the enter button.
- This should take you to the SoftwareDistribution directory.
- Navigate to the Download folder.
- Use “Ctrl + A” to select everything inside the folder.
- Right-click and select the delete option to delete everything.
- Again in the command prompt run the following commands.
command: net start bits command: net start wuauserv
- Restart the computer.
- Now, Windows will download and install the update again.
Modern Setup Host will run again in the background to install the update, but hopefully, this time will not use extra system resources and shut down itself after completing its job.
I hope this guide helps you to understand about Modern Setup Host process. If you have any questions, feel free to comment below.