Microsoft Works was a productivity software suite developed by Microsoft and sold from 1987 to 2009. It was the downgrade version of the Microsoft office suite. The development of Microsoft Works was officially closed in 2009. Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Database Management system, and Calendar Application, Dictionary was the core functionality of Microsoft Works. However, Calendar Application and Dictionary was introduced in the later version.
Although this software is supported on Windows Vista and earlier versions, users can run it on Windows 11 and 10. In this guide, we will show you how to download and run Microsoft Works on Windows 11 and 10.
Microsoft Works for Windows 11/10
Although no official link is available to download Microsoft Works because the development has been shut down, you can download the ISO image file of the Microsoft Works from archive.org.
To install and run Microsoft Works, follow the below steps.
- Once you have downloaded the ISO image file, right-click the file, then select Mount.
- Next, go to the Mounted image file, and under the MSWORKS folder, run the setup.exe file.
- You see the Welcome screen window.
- Click the Next; then, you will be asked to select the installation location.
- Click the Next.
- Select the Complete Installation, then click Next.
- You get the following notice.
Microsoft Works 7.0 requires several operating system components, including Microsoft 6.0. If your computer does not already have the latest versions of these components, the Installation Wizard will update them automatically.
- Click the Install button to start the installtion process.
- The install process will start on the next screen; you can track the installation process in the status bar.
- Once it is done, click the Finish to complete the process.
Now Microsoft Works is installed on your computer; you can run it by finding it in the start menu app’s list. If the application does not run on the computer, you can do it in the Compatibility Mode.
To run in the Compatibility Mode, do the following.
- Right-clcik the Microsoft Workd shortcut.
- Select properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Under the Compatibility Mode, check the option called “Run this program in the compatibility mode for”.
- Select the Windows Vista from the list of the operating systems.
- Click the Apply, then OK.
Now, this should run on your Windows computer. If everything is working fine, then congratulation, you can use Microsoft Works on your Windows 10 or 11.