Kali Linux Live USB Persistence Guide: Kali Linux has over 500 preinstalled penetration testing programs to learn about Ethical Hacking & Cyber Securities terms. To become an expert in cyber securities, Kali Linux is the right place to know about the vulnerabilities of the victim. It offers dozens of hacking tools such as WiFi-Phisher, WiFi Jammer, John The Ripper, WP Scanner, The FatRat, etc.
Either we can install Kali Linux or use Kali Live. The main problem with Kali Live is when we use Kali Linux live USB and make changes in Kali Linux or install new packages in Kali, So everything gets wiped when we reinsert USB or restart Kali Linux. But Don’t worry, In this guide, we will study step by step, How to create Kali Linux Live USB Persistence.
Kali Linux Live USB Persistence
Recommendation ⇒ To Make Kali Linux Live USB Drive, you must have at least 16 GB USB Drive and a minimum of 8 GB as we will partition USB Drive.
- First of all, download the following software.
- Connect the USB drive to your PC and format it. (Select File System Type FAT32)
- Run Rufus (Bootable USB drive Creator Software) on your PC, It is a portable version so don’t need to install, simply run and Use.
- Select your Kali Linux image file and click the start button. It takes a few minutes to write the Kali Linux image file on your USB drive.
- Once it is finished, click the Close button and exit Rufus.
- Now install and run Partition Wizard Tool on your PC.
- In the Partition Wizard tool, find your connected USB drive and hit the right-click, and then select Split option to Split the Partition.
- Now select Original Partition Size as “3.5 GB” and then OK, and Apply Changes.
- You have successfully created two partitions on your USB drive, In the First Partition, Kali Linux is installed, and in the second partition, nothing. Now right-click the second Partition and delete it.
- Right-click the deleted Unallocated partition and then create a new partition.
- Fill the following details in “Create New Partition Wizard” then OK and apply changes.
- Partition Label ⇒ Persistence
- Create As ⇒ Primary
- System Type ⇒ Ext4
- Restart your PC and boot with Kali Linux USB Drive. (Press “Escape Key” when PC is about to start and Boot the system via USB Drive under the Boot Device Options).
- When Kali Linux starts, Select the “Live USB Persistence” option and hit the Enter.
- Once Kali Linux starts successfully, then open Terminal in the Kali Linux.
- To check the USB Partition type the Command fdisk -l and hit the enter button. It will show you all the USB drive partition.
Command ⇒ fdisk -l
- Now We will create the directory, To do it, type the following command mkdir -p /mnt/kali and hit the enter button. The directory will be created under the “mnt folder”.
Command ⇒ mkdir -p /mnt/kali
- Type the second command mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/kali/ and hit the Enter.
Command ⇒ mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/kali/
Note: “sdb2” is the second partition of the USB Driv.
- Then, type the third command echo “/ union” > /mnt/kali/persistence.conf and hit the enter button on your Keyboard.
Command ⇒ echo "/ union" > /mnt/kai/persistence.conf
- Type Fourth Command umount /dev/sdb2 and Hit Enter Button.
Command ⇒ umount /dev/sdb2
- Hit the Last Command reboot.
Command ⇒ reboot
Now boot your PC using Kali Linux USB Drive and select the “Live USB Persistence” option and hit the Enter.
Now you can use your Kali Linux Live USB Persistence Drive and install packages and programs in Kali Linux and use it without any trouble. Boot your PC with Kali Linux Live USB and enjoy the moveable Kali Live USB Drive.
In order to install Kali Linux on virtual system, you can read this Guide: How to Install Kali Linux on VMware