In March 2018, Kali Linux had released the Kali Linux Windows 10 app, through that, you can run Linux commands on Windows 10 Subsystem. In this guide, we will learn, How to Install Kali Linux GUI Mode on the Windows 10 Subsystem. Using Kali Linux Windows 10 app you can use GUI (Graphical User Interface) based Tools.
Install Kali Linux GUI Mode on Windows 10 Subsystem
To install Kali Linux GUI mode on Windows 10 subsystem, the Kali Linux Windows app must be installed on your Windows 10. We’ve already covered this topic, you should read here: How to Install & Configure Kali Linux Windows 10 app
- First of all, open the Command Prompt and type Kali, then hit the Enter button.
- It starts the CUI (Command Line) mode of the Kali Linux Windows app.
- To Install Xfce (Xfce is an open-source desktop environment), first of all, we will download the following script.
- Run the following command, then hit the Enter button on the Keyboard.
Command: wget https://kali.sh/xfce4.sh
- Once it is finished, we’ll run this script, but before running we have to provide execute permission to this tool. To achieve this run the command “chmod +x xfce4.sh” and hit the Enter button.
Command: chmod +x xfce4.sh
- Now run the following command to run the script.
Command: sudo ./xfce4.sh
You will be asked to enter the Kali Linux user password, enter your Password, and then hit the enter button. All the necessary packages will be downloaded and configured.
It may take half an hour……
- Once It is finished, you get a Package Configuration setup.
- Now select the language, then hit the Enter button.
- Once everything is configured, we’re ready to use the Xfce4 desktop environment.
- We will start Xfce4 through a remote desktop.
- First, start the XRDP server, type command “sudo service xrdp start,” and then hit the enter button. Enter the password if prompts.
Command: sudo service xrdp start
- Then, open the Remote Desktop Connection.
- In the Remote Desktop connection, enter the Local Host IP 127.0.0.1 and XRDP Server Port – 3390, then click the connect button.
- Enter your User Name and Password, then OK.
- Now you can use Kali Linux GUI Mode on Windows 10 Subsystem. If you want to exit Kali Linux mode, Log out and then stop XRDP Server using the following command.
Command: sudo service xrdp stop
Next time, when you want to use Kali Linux GUI mode, you will have to start the XRDP server, then you can connect using a remote desktop connection.
I hope this guide is helpful for you, if you have any problem, then don’t forget to comment below.