Kali Linux ARM version is officially available. Now you can download the ARM ISO image of Kali Linux and install it on your Mac m1 using Parallels Desktop. Parallels Desktop is an application that creates the virtual environment to run another operating system on Mac M1. In this guide, we will walk you through the steps to install Kali Linux on an Apple Mac M1 computer.
Install Kali Linux on Apple Mac M1
To install Kali Linux on Mac M1, first of all, you need to download and install the Parallels Desktop application on your Mac. The Parallels Desktop development team has been working tremendously to bring the Parallels Desktop on Mac M1 since Apple has officially launched Mac Air, Mac Pro, and Mac Mini with M1 chip.
When I am writing this post, the Parallels Desktop for Mac with Apple M1 chip technical preview program is running. Go to Parallels Desktop website and join the Technical Preview program. You will need a Parallels account to login, so first create your account and then login with it.
You will be guided through the steps to download and install the Parallels Desktop application on your Mac M1 computer. Follow all the steps to install the Parallels Desktop application on your Mac.
Once you’ve successfully installed the Parallels Desktop application on your Mac M1 computer, then follow the below steps to install Kali Linux on Apple Mac M1.
Create Kali Linux Virtual Machine
- First of all, download the Kali Linux ARM64 installer ISO image.
- Once you have downloaded the Kali Linux Installer ISO Image, then open the Parallels Desktop application.
- Install Assistant will search for installation images.
- Click the Choose Manually button.
- Click the Select a file and then select the Kali Linux Installer image you downloaded.
- If Parallels Desktop is unable to detect the operating system, click the Continue button to proceed further.
- You will be asked to select the operating system, select the Debian GNU/Linux from the drop menu list of operating systems.
- Click the OK.
- Enter the Name, and select the save location.
- Click the Create Button.
- You will asked to create a new account, simply login with the account you have created on the Parallels website.
- Once you’ve logged in, you will be asked to enter the activation key that you found on the Technical Preview page on the Parallels website.
- Enter the 30 digits activation key and then click the Activate button.
- Once the Parallels Desktop is successfully activated, the operating system will boot up.
- When Kali Linux boots up, select the install option.
Install Kali Linux on Mac M1
- Start the Kali Linux virtual machine, and select the Install option.
- The installation process will start; select the Language, Region, and Keyboard.
- The operating system will configure some settings automatically.
- Configure the Network – Enter the hostname as Kali or whatever you want, and keep the domain name as the default name.
- Setup user & password – Enter the user’s full name, enter the username, and then enter the user password.
- Click the Continue button to proceed with further steps.
- Configure the Clock – Select your clock.
- Partition disks – Select “Guided – use the entire disk.”
- Follow the default instruction to set up the partition.
- Click the “YES” button to confirm the changes to the disk.
- Once you finish this, the Base system will be installed.
- Once the base system is installed, select the software you want to install. The internet connection should be available to install the software; however, you can also install the software later on the operating system.
- Click the Continue button to install the operating system.
- Once you see the message “Installation complete”, click the Continue button to boot the operating system.
- Enter the username and password to login into Kali Linux.
Now you can enjoy Kali Linux on your Apple Mac M1.
You may have to face some issues on Kali Linux, such as you can’t change the Display resolution and cannot install parallel tools.
If you need extra performance on Kali Linux, you can configure the hardware of the virtual machine. Run the virtual machine, and click the Settings gear icon on the title bar to open the Virtual Machine configuration settings.
Navigate to the Hardware section, where you can configure the hardware settings, including the CPU & RAM, Graphics, Mouse & Keyboard, Printer and Network, etc.
I hope you have successfully installed Kali Linux on your Apple Mac M1 computer. If something went wrong and Kali Linux is not booting up, you can remove the old virtual machine and create a new Kali Linux virtual machine to install the Kali Linux again.
Follow the steps to remove the old virtual machine.
- Go to the directory where you have saved the virtual machine. (The default location is /users/username/parallels)
- Right-click the virtual machine and select Move to the bin.
- Open the Bin and delete the virtual machine forever.
- Open the Parallels Desktop application, and click the Remove button to remove the virtual machine when prompt.
Now you can configure new Kali Linux virtual machine on Apple Mac M1.
I hope you have successfully installed Kali Linux on your computer. If you have any questions, feel free to comment below.
Also Read: How to Install Homebrew on Mac M1