Kali Linux has officially released Kali Linux Windows 10 app on Windows Store. You can run all the Linux commands on your Windows Command Promot through this Kali Linux Windows app. Kali Linux Windows 10 app gives us the functionality to install GUI mode which is definitely good for us.
Rather than running a command on Command Prompt we can directly use GUI mode, which is more convenient for us. In order to do Penetration Testing on Windows 10, It’s good for you. In this guide we will learn step by step, How to install and configure the Kali Linux Windows 10 app. Kali Linux app is available only for Windows 10 users.
Install & Configure Kali Linux Windows 10 App
The installation is quite easy you have to go on the store and simply hit the install button, but the matter is configuration, Which is not going to hard.
- First of all, Open Windows Store and download Kali Linux app on your PC. (Download Size is around 160 MB)
- Once you’ve installed the Kali Linux app, exit the Windows Store and go back to the Desktop screen.
- After that, Open the PowerShell and RUN as Administrator on your PC.
- In PowerShell Window, Type the Following Command to enable WSL(Windows Subsystem for Linux).
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
………..Hit the Enter Button and then WSL will be enabled in few minutes.
- Once it is finished, Restart your PC, So that it could be configured successfully.
- Once the PC restarts, open the Command Prompt and type the Command “Kali”.
- When you run the Kali Linux Windows app first time, It will be configured on your PC, and this may take a couple of minutes.
- Once it is finished, Complete your Username and Password setup.
- You can open the Kali Linux app through Command Promote (Simply Type “Kali” and Hit Enter Button) or Kali Linux Windows app.
- Now you can use all Linux Command on your Command Prompt. To update Kali Linux on WSL, Simply run the Following Commands.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Similarly, You can use all the Kali Linux commands on your Windows 10 and start your journey in ethical hacking. In case you don’t like to use this Kali Linux app, because of the flexibility, You can install Kali Linux on VMware Workstation or make Kali Live USB Persistence. You can create a live USB drive of Kali Linux and directly boot on your system without installing it.
Xfce4 desktop environment provides you a graphical user interface for Kali Linux that you can configure on Windows 10 and use the Kali Linux in GUI mode. We already have a complete guide on this topic, you might want to read: How to install Kali Linux GUI mode on Windows 10 subsystem