Offensive Security has officially released the Kali Linux app for Windows 10. Now you can run all the Linux commands directly to the command prompt through this Kali Linux app. You can also enable the GUI mode on the Kali Linux Windows 10 app, which makes using Kali Linux more convenient on a Windows computer.
Using the Kali Linux app, we can use all Kali Linux tools directly on a Windows computer. In this guide, we will show you step-by-step how to install and configure the Kali Linux Windows 10 app. For now, the Kali Linux app is only available for Windows 10.
Install & Configure Kali Linux Windows 10 App
The installation process is relatively easy. You are to open the Windows Store and search the Kali Linux, and then you can install it. But the configuration is not easy this way.
- First of all, open the Windows Store and download the Kali Linux app. (The app size is not too big)
- Once you’ve installed the Kali Linux app, then exit the Windows Store and go back to the Desktop.
- After that, open the Windows PowerShell and Run as Administrator.
- In the PowerShell window, type the following script to enable WSL(Windows Subsystem for Linux).
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
Hit the enter button to execute the script, and then WSL will be enabled in a few minutes.
- Once it is finished, Restart your PC so that it could configure successfully.
- Next, open the Command Prompt and type the command Kali, and then hit the enter button.
- When you run the Kali Linux app for the first time, it will be configured, and this may take a few minutes.
- Once the configuration is finished, then complete your Username and Password setup.
- You can open the Kali Linux app either using the Command Promot or the Kali Linux Windows app.
- Now you can run all the Linux commands on the Command Prompt. To update Kali Linux, use the following commands.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Now you can start your ethical hacking journey. In case you don’t like to use this Kali Linux app, because of the flexibility, you can install Kali Linux on VMware Workstation or make Kali Live USB Persistence. You can create a live USB drive of Kali Linux and directly boot on your system without installing it.
Xfce4 desktop environment provides you a graphical user interface for Kali Linux that you can configure on Windows 10 and use the Kali Linux in GUI mode. We already have a complete guide on this topic, you might want to read: How to install Kali Linux GUI mode on Windows 10 subsystem