Internet Download Manager (IDM) is my favourite download manager because of the fast downloading speed. Unlike other popular browsers such as Google Chrome and Firefox, IDM provides more convenient features, and never corrupts files.
IDM uses extension on the browsers to capture the downloads. If the extension is not enabled, IDM isn’t able to capture the downloads. In this guide, we will walk you through how to install IDM extension for Chrome with IDMGCEXT.crx.
IDMGCEXT.crx is a extension file format used by all the bowsers for extensions.
Install IDM Extension for Chrome
If you’re thinking to download IDMGCEXT.crx file to enable IDM extension on chrome. Therefore, You must know that IDMGCEXT.crx is not any software that you can download from somewhere. It’s CRX extension file that already stored in IDM installation Directory.
The following steps will show you how to use IDMGCEXT.crx file to install IDM extension on chrome.
- First of all, open the Internet download manager, then go to setting>general settings.
- Under the “Capture downloads from the following browsers”, select all the browser using a checkbox.
- Next, open the File Explorer and navigate to the following directory: C>Program Files (×86)>Internet Download manager
- Now open Google Chrome, and then open the extension tab.
- Drop the IDMGCExt.crx file from the IDM installation directory to the chrome extension tab.
- Click the “Add extension” to add the extension.
If the previous method is not working, then you should follow this Method.
- Open the File Explorer and navigate to the (IDM installation directory) C>Program Files (×86)>Internet Download manager.
- Make a copy of the “IDMEdgeExt” folder on the desktop.
- Then, open the “IDMEdgeExt” folder and delete the folder called “metadata”.
- Now open the chrome browser and go to the extension menu and select Developer mode then click the Load Unpacked Extension option.
- Add IDMEdgeExt folder here, and then enable the IDM extension for chrome.
If the IDM extension is still not working, then clear all the browser data and reinstall the IDM.
Related article: How to Repair or Remove programs in Windows 10
I hope this guide is helpful for you, and now you can download your favorite content using Internet download manager.