In this guide, we will walk you through How to stop Skype from starting automatically in Windows 10.
Normally, You turn on your PC and log into Windows 10. You start receiving the calls, messages, and notifications by Skype because it automatically starts when you log in. This is good when someone sends a message so that you could get a notification.
If you don’t want Skype to start automatically when you log into Windows. You can disable Skype on startup, next time, you have to manually open the Skype to get the messages and calls. Once Skype is opened, it will remain in the background for upcoming notifications.
How to Stop Skype from Starting Automatically
It is quite easy to stop Skype from starting automatically in Windows 10, but if you’re using Windows 8, then everything is going to similar. However, It matters how you installed Skype, through Windows Store or Skype setup.
Stop Skype Windows Store App
If you’ve installed Skype from Windows Store, there is no option available to disable Skype on startup. But, you can prevent Skype from running in the background thereby you can stop Skype from starting automatically.
- First of all, open the Start Menu.
- Find Skype, then right-click the Skype app and select More>App settings.
- It opens Skype app settings.
- Under the App permissions, click the toggle button to disable the Background app permission.
- Once you’ve done this, you’ll never receive any notification by Skype.
You’ll notice Skype still remains in the taskbar, you can simply right-click and close it. As you’ve disabled the background running permission, hence Skype will not start automatically with the Windows startup.
There is one more solution you can use. You can simply sign out Skype account, then you’ll not receive any notification as no account is logged In. Skype exits itself if there is no account signed In.
Related article: How to delete Backup Files in Windows 10
Stop Skype Desktop App
If you’ve installed Skype using skype.exe setup file, then you can easily stop Skype from starting automatically in Windows 10. Here are a couple of steps to stop the auto startup.
- First of all, run the Skype desktop app on your PC.
- Click the three-dotted icon right next to the profile icon.
- Select settings, either you can also press Ctrl+comma shortcut key.
- Switch to General Settings, and click the toggle “Automatically start Skype” button to stop Skype from starting automatically in Windows 10.
- Exit the Skype app.
Next time, When you sign in to Windows 10, Skype will not start automatically until you open it manually. You can also disable the background running permission so that it could not disturb.