Some of the programs you install on your computer add themselves to the Startup programs list. When Windows starts, the programs that exist under the Startup folder start running themselves. You might want some important, but not all, programs to run at startup, therefore; In this guide, we will show you how to stop programs from running at startup in Windows 10 or 11.
If many programs are added to the Startup programs list, then this may slow down your computer for a while. Therefore, it would be best to filter the startup programs list.
Stop Programs from Running at Startup
You can manage startup programs through the Task Manager. Follow the below steps to disable the startup programs.
- Press Windows + X shortcut key, then select the Task Manager from the menu list.
- In the Task Manager, click the More details option if more options are not opened.
- Head to the Startup tab.
- Under the Startup tab, you get a list of the Startup programs.
- Select the Programs you want to disable, then click the Disbale button.
That’s it; you have disabled the Startup programs. Next time, when you start your computer, the programs you have disabled will not run at Windows startup.
Related article: What is the Location of the Startup Folder in Windows 10/11?
You can also view the list of the Startup programs on the command prompt. With the help of the Windows Management Instrumentation command-line tool (wmic), you can check the startup programs list.
Open the Command Prompt admin, and type wmic, and then hit the enter button. Next, type startup and hit enter to view the list of the startup programs.
Disbale Startup Programs via Windows Settings
If you’re using Windows 10 or 11, you can disable the Startup programs using the Windows settings app. Here’s how to do this.
- Open the Windows 10/11 settings using Windows Logo + I shortcut key on the Keybaord.
- This will open the Windows Settings.
- Select the Apps option.
- Next, select the Startup Apps option.
- Here, you can disable the Startup programs with a toggle button.
I hope you have disabled the Startup programs. If you have any problems, feel free to comment below, we will look forward to helping you.