Ever since Apple switched from Intel to in-house created M1 Chip, we have seen a massive leap in the performance. With some impressive benchmark score, the new Apple Mac lineup promises a good performance. But how much performance we will get when running the Windows ARM version on Mac M1. In this guide, we will walk you through how to Install Windows 10 on Apple Mac M1 computer.
To install Windows 10 on the Apple Mac M1 computer, we will use the Parallels Desktop application. By using the Parallels Desktop we will create a virtual environment to run Windows on an ARM computer.
Follow along with this guide in order to install Windows 10 on your Apple Mac M1 computer.
Install Windows 10 on Apple Mac M1
First of all, you will need a Parallels Desktop application to create a virtual environment to install Windows 10 ARM version on Apple Mac M1. To download the Parallels Desktop, go to the Parallels Desktop website and download the free trial version. However, if you want to buy, you can do so.
To install Windows 10 on an ARM computer, you will need to download the Windows 10 ARM version. To download the Windows 10 ARM version, first, you have to register for the Windows Insider program. This program is basically for the developer who tests the preview build and gives feedback to Microsoft to improve the product.
Go to the Windows Insider Program website and then register yourself for Window Insider Program. Once you’ve opted into Insider Program, follow this link to download Windows 10 client ARM64 Insider Preview Build, the file size will be around 9GB.
Once you’ve downloaded the Windows 10 ARM version. Follow the steps below to complete the installation process using the Parallels Desktop application.
- Open the Parallels Desktop application.
- Parallels Desktop should automatically find the available Windows 10 VHDX file.
- If Parallels doesn’t find the available operating system, then you can choose manually.
- Once you’ve select the operating system, click the Continue button.
- Choose the Name and Save location.
- Check the option “Customize settings before installation“.
- Click the Create Button.
- Parallels Desktop starts creating the Windows 10 virtual disk.
- Windows 10 configuration window will appear. Here you can customize the hardware settings such as RAM, CPU cores, Graphics, etc.
- Once you’ve configured the hardware settings, click the Continue button.
- Now Windows 10 installation will start, wait for a while until Window installation finishes.
- Once installation is complete, you see a message “Installation Completed,” click the continue to start using Windows 10.
- Sign in using the Parallels account and start using the trial version.
- Now your Windows is ready to use.
Now you can install any programs and games that you want. However, there are some restrictions will be because all the application doesn’t work well on ARM machine.
I have run GTA V on this virtual machine, the performance was good enough considering the game is running under a virtual machine. I have also run the Geekbench 5 test, and the result was too impressive than most of the available Windows Laptops, I have configured the virtual machine with the 4GB RAM and 6 core CPU, and Geekbench single-core score was 1436, and the multi-core 4690.
If you’re planning to use Windows 10 on an Apple Mac m1 computer, then this will be good instead of buying separate windows laptop. Most of the available budget laptops will not give you the performance that you get on Mac M1 using the Parallels Desktop application.
If you want to install Kali Linux on your Mac M1, follow how to install Kali Linux on Apple Mac M1.
This is all about how you can install Windows 10 on Apple Mac M1. I hope this guide is helpful for you. If you have any question, feel free to comment below.