Kali Linux is a free and open-source operating system developed by Offensive Security. It is designed for penetration testing, bug hunting, and digital forensics, etc. It is one of the popular penetration testing Linux based operating system, has over 500 preinstalled penetration testing programs such as Armitage, Wp Scan, John the Ripper password cracker, FatRat, WiFiphisher, WiFi-Pumpkin, Nmap, etc.
Kali Linux is one of the best Linux distros to learn about ethical hacking and cybersecurity. If you want to start your hacking journey, you should start using Kali Linux. Therefore, In this guide, we’ll show you how to install Kali Linux on VMware Workstation.
1. Setup Kali Linux virtual environment
Installing Kali Linux on VMware is quite an easy process, but your computer should pass the following minimum requirements.
- Minimum 20 GB Hard Disk space
- 2GB RAM Recommended, Minimum 1GB or More
- USB/CD Boot Support
- First of all, download and verify Kali Linux.
- Then, open the VMware workstation and click the “Create a New Virtual Machine.”
- Select the Typical mode and then click the Next button.
- Select the “Installer Disc Image file (ISO):” option, then click the Browse button. Choose the Kali Linux operating system you downloaded, then click the Next button.
- Now select Guest Operating System as Linux, and Version as Ubuntu if Kali Linux is absent in the list, then click the Next button.
- Enter Virtual machine name and Location, then Next.
- Now enter the Hard Disk Size and then select “Store Virtual Disk as a single file” option, then click the Next button.
- You get a Customize Hardware option where you can customize hardware including RAM, Display, Network, CPU etc.
- Customize Hardware according to your need, then click the Finish button. Now Kali Linux is ready to be installed on VMware Workstation.
- Now power on this virtual machine to start the Installtion process.
2. Install Kali Linux on VMware Workstation
- When Kali Linux boots up, first, you get the Boot menu where you are to select “Graphical Install.”
- Next, enter all the details, including Language, Location, Keyboard. Then, it will automatically load all the installer components.
- In “Configure the Network” settings, enter the Hostname (The hostname should be unique), then click the Continue.
- You will be asked to enter the Domain name. If you have, you can enter; otherwise, click the Continue.
- Now enter the user password, then click the continue button.
- Next, Select Disk as “Use Entire Disk” and then click the Continue.
- Select the Virtual Disk, then continue the setup.
- It will ask for the partition. Therefore, we will need only one partition, select the “All the files in one partition” option.
- After then, select “Finish partition and changes to disk.”
- You will be asked to Format the Disk (Write the Changes to Disk), select yes to continue. Don’t worry; it is a virtual disk; nothing would be after formatting.
- Now Kali Linux OS will be installed; this might take half an hour.
- Once the installation is finished, it will ask to use Network Mirror, select “Yes,” then continue.
- Now the package manager will be configured, and GRUB Bootloader will be installed on a hard disk.
- Next, select the Virtual Disk (Device For Bootloader Installation) as “/dev/sda,” then click the Continue.
- Once the installation is finished, click the Continue to boot the Kali Linux.
Kali Linux will boot automatically. To log into Kali Linux, enter your Username and Password you created.
Kali Linux has been installed successfully on the VMware Workstation. Now you can use all Kali Linux features and dozens of penetration testing software such as Metasploit, Wp Scan, Nikto, John the Ripper, etc.
I hope this guide helps you to install Kali Linux on VMware. You can use many ethical hacking tools for Bug Hunting, Penetration Testing, finding out vulnerabilities, etc. Kali Linux provides an amazing way to learn about securities and bug fixing.