Windows 10 doesn’t give any option to see the user account password. All the Windows users’ account information such as username and password are stored in SAM and SYSTEM files in encrypted form. Although, you can find these two files inside the Windows>System32>config directory, you cannot copy these two files.
But the limitations don’t end here. In this guide, we will walk you through the way to find the Administrator user account password in Windows 10 using CMD.
Find/Show Administrator Password
To find the admin user account password, we’ll need the following tools. Download both tools for Windows from the given link below.
Before you proceed to the following steps, make sure you’ve disable the antivirus program.
- First of all, download PwDump7 and John the Ripper from the given link.
- Create a new folder called PwDump on the desktop.
- Unzip the PwDump7.zip file inside the PwDump folder.
- Next, Open the Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.
- In the Command Prompt, run the following commands to navigate to the PwDump folder.
command: cd users/User Name/Desktop/PwDump
- Now, you should inside the PwDump folder.
- Here, we will extract LM and NTLM password hashes from the SAM and SYSTEM file using PwDump7 tool. Type the following command to extract the password hashes.
Once the command executed, password hashes are ready inside Password.txt file.
- Exit the command prompt.
- Now, unzip the JohntheRipper.Zip file you downloaded on the Desktop.
- Next, make a copy of the Password.txt file inside the John/run folder.
- Type the “CMD” in the address bar and then hit the enter. It will open the Command Prompt inside the “run folder”.
- In the Command prompt, type the following command, then hit the enter button on the Keyboard.
command: john password.txt
This command will decode the password hashes that are stored in Password.txt file. If the password is complex, this may take some time.
In the screenshot, you can clearly see the decoded password. Although I have used a very simple password, this tool can decode complex passwords as well. To decode a very complex password, this process may take a longer time, even up to years, but it also depends how powerful your computer is.
I hope this guide is helpful for you, and now you’ve known the secret to find the Administrator password in Windows 10.
If you’re looking for the way to reset the forgotten user account password, you should read this guide – How to Reset Forgotten Windows 10 password