Whenever you copy or cut something in Windows 10, it stores last copied or cut item in Clipboard memory. You can paste copied or cut items anywhere, and the last item remains in memory until you restart or Sign out the computer. If you don’t want to store items to the clipboard for some reason, you can clear Clipboard data every time. In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to Clear Clipboard in Windows 10.
The clipboard is buffer, and also a short-term or temporary storage used to save the copied or cut items. The clipboard can also save multiple items for you to paste. You can clear all the data with a simple click.
How to Clear Clipboard in Windows 10
Here are following methods you can use to clear Clipboard data in Windows 10.
- Clear Clipboard using Clipboard settings
- Clear Clipboard data using Desktop Shortcut
- Use Command Prompt to clear Clipboard
1. Clear Clipboard using Clipboard settings in Windows 10
You have to simply open the Windows 10’s settings, and then find the Clipboard settings, then clear clipboard data with a simple click. Here is how to do this.
- Press Windows+I shortcut key to open the settings.
- In the settings, select System > Clipboard settings.
- Under the “Clear Clipboard history”, click the Clear button in order to clear all the copied or cut items.
Now, everything is cleared to the Clipboard. Next time, you copy or cut something, It’ll be stored to the clipboard, to clear again, you have to repeat the steps to Clear Clipboard in Windows 10.
Related article: How to change Windows 10 default font
2. Clear Clipboard data using Desktop Shortcut
Every time opening the settings and clearing the data is not a convenient way. You can create a shortcut on the desktop, and clear clipboard data with a simple click without opening the settings.
- Go to the Desktop screen, then right-click and select New>Shortcut.
- This opens a “Create shortcut” window.
- Type the following location of the item.
%windir%\System32\cmd /c echo off | clip
Click the Next button, and type the name of the shortcut as “Clear Clipboard” or whatever you want, and then click the finish button.
Once you created the shortcut, click the shortcut twice to clear Clipboard in Windows 10.
3. Use a Command Prompt to clear Clipboard History
If you really like to use the command prompt, running a simple command can help to clear clipboard history. Here’s the command to clear.
- Open the start menu, and search CMD.
- Once you get the Command Prompt in the result, click to open.
- In the command prompt run the following command
echo off | clip
Now, the Clipboard history is cleared.
This is all about, how to Clear Clipboard in Windows 10. Hopefully, you can use these methods easily and clear the Clipboard history. Although, there are many Clipboard alternatives such as ClipClip, Arsclip, etc., using the Windows Clipboard is good enough.