A clean installation of Windows 11 will erase all the data on your hard drive, even though upgrading to Windows 11 doesn’t delete files and apps. If you’re sure your PC may have some viruses and malware or If you have a PC having some pre-installed bloatware apps that you want to get rid of, you can proceed to clean install Windows 11.
Before you clean install Windows 11, you should check whether your PC qualifies the Windows 11 system requirements. Microsoft offers a PC health check app that will tell you if your system is compatible with Windows 11.
If your PC is not compatible with Windows 11, don’t worry, Microsoft still allows you to install Windows 11 on unsupported PC hardware.
To perform a clean install of Windows 11 on a PC, go through the following steps below.
How to Clean install Windows 11
To perform a clean installation of Windows 11 on a PC, you will need a Windows 11 Bootable USB Media Drive along with a product key to activate Windows.
If you running Windows 10, 8, or 7 on your PC, you can use the same product key to activate Windows 11. If you’re not sure how to find the product key on PC, always see this guide – How to Find Windows 10 Product Key on Your PC
Once you have Windows 11 Installation Media and the product key ready, you’re ready to perform a clean install of Windows 11.
- Insert the Windows 11 Installtion Media Drive to your computer.
- Restart your computer.
- As soon as the OEM logo appears, press the ESC or F2 or F9 to select the USB Drive to boot the computer from.
- Once your computer boot, you should see the Windows setup.
- Select Language, Time, and Keybaord, then click the Next.
- Click the Install now button.
- You will be asked to Activate Windows, if you have product key, then Enter; otherwise click “I don’t have a product key”.
- Select the Windows Edition, then click the Next.
- Under the “Which type of installation do you want?”, select the Custom: Install Windows only (advanced).
- Select the Parition in which you want to install Windows, then click the Format. (Usually, “Drive 0” primary parition contains all the Windows OS files).
- Click the Next.
- Now wait unit the Windows is being installed on your PC.
- Once the Installation is finished, you will see the first page of the out-of-the-box experience. Select your country or region.
- Click the “Yes” button.
- Select the “Keyboard layout“.
- Click the “Yes”.
- If you’re PC is connected via Ethernet cable, it will automatically connect to the network. If you need to connect with WiFi, then select the available WiFi Network and enter the password.
- Confirm the PC name, then click the “Next” button.
- Computer will restart at this time.
- You will be asked, how would you like to set up this device? Select Set up for personal use in case of Windows 11 Pro, Home eidtion doesn’t have this option.
- Click the Next button.
- Confirm your Microsoft account email, phone number to create an account, then click the Next button.
- Confirm the account password, then click the Next button.
- Click the “Create PIN” button.
- Enter your desired PIN 2 times, then click the OK.
- Select “Setup as a new device“, then click the Next button.
- Confrim the Privacy settings, then click the Next button.
- Click the Next > Next, then click the Accept button.
- On the “Let’s customize your experience” page, select all the ways you plan to use your device to get personalized tips, ads, and recommendations within Microsoft experiences. Click the Accept button to proceed to next step.
- Select “Don’t backup my files” then click the Next button.
- Click the “No thanks” button to skip the Microsoft 365 setup.
- Once you complete all the steps, Windows 11 will continue the installation on your computer.
Once Windows 11 has finished the installation on your computer, you can start using your computer.
I hope this guide is helpful for you. If you have any queries, feel free to mention them below in the comment section. We’ll look forward to helping you.