Changing the account username on Windows 10 is quite easy. In the previous version of Windows 7 and 8, we used to use the control panel to manage the user account settings. But on Windows 10, we manage everything through settings.
However, there is no option available to change the account username under the user account settings. But, thanks to the Control panel for allowing us to change the account username on Windows 10.
You can use the control panel to manage the user account. The following guide will walk you through all the steps to change the local account username on Windows 10.
Change Windows 10 Local Account username
- First of all, click the start menu button and search “control panel.”
- Once you get the control panel in the search result, then click and open it.
- In the control panel, navigate to the User Account > User Account.
- You get the user account’s settings, now click the “change your account name.”
- Enter the username that you want to use as an account username.
- Once you have done this, you can use the account with a new username.
Change Microsoft Account Username on Windows 10
If you have signed in with Microsoft account, you can change the username using the following steps.
- Press the Windows+R shortcut key to open the Run dialog box.
- Type the Netplwiz in the Run box, and then hit the enter button.
- This will open the Advanced User Account control panel.
- Select Microsoft User Account and check the following option “users must enter a user name and password to use this computer,” then open account properties.
- Under the properties, you can specify a new username and full name, enter your new username, and then apply.
Alternatively, you can log in with your account on Microsoft website and change your account name and username.
Here’s how to do?
- First of all, go to the Microsoft login page and Sign in with your outlook account.
- Once you’re logged in, click the More Action and then Edit profile.
- Here you can click the Edit Name option to change the name of your profile.
- Enter your new account name and save it.
Hopefully, you have successfully changed the account username. If anytime in the future, you need to change the username on Windows 10, you should use this useful guide.