If you boot your computer and start using it, suddenly, the mouse click stops working on the Desktop screen. You can’t click anything on Desktop in Windows 10, as if the click is not working.
Sometimes, when the file explorer stops responding, you face this issue. If you click on any item on the Desktop, the computer doesn’t respond, and even you can’t right-click on anything.
If you’re not able to click anything on Desktop in Windows 10, don’t worry. In this guide, we will walk you through the way to solve this error.
Fix: Can’t click Anything on Desktop in Windows 10
There might be more than one reason for this issue. In this tutorial, we will share few methods to solve this error.
1. Restart File Explorer
When the File Explorer stops working or responding, you face this type of problem. Everything seems frozen on the Desktop screen; you can’t click on anything. To solve this issue, follow the below steps.
- First of all, press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys simultaneously on the keyboard.
- This will open the Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager, navigate to the Details tab by using the Tab and right arrow key or mouse click (if working).
- Once you’re on the Details tab, press the Tab key to come down to select the running task.
- Use the “e” alphabet key to find the “explorer.exe” process.
- If you’re able to right-click, then right-click the explorer.exe and select “End task”; if not, press the “Shift + F10” key to bring the options list.
- Navigate to “End task” using the down arrow key on the keyboard, then hit the enter button to kill the task.
- Once you’ve ended the file explorer, you will see only a black screen on the desktop.
- In the Task Manager, press the alt key; this will select the File option, hit the enter button to open the File menu.
- In the File menu, select the Run new task, then hit the enter to open the “create new task” window.
- In the “create new task” window, type the explorer.exe, then hit the enter button; this will start the file explorer process again in the background.
Now when the File Explorer has restarted, you should able to click anything on the desktop. If still, the problem is not gone, don’t worry; follow the next possible solution.
2. Check your keyboard
Faulty keyboard keys may cause this problem and can prevent the mouse from performing right-click and left-click actions.
- You should check if any keyboard key is broken or long hold keys such as shift, alt, etc., are pressed down without your knowledge.
- The space bar is the most used key, and you should check whether it is in working condition or stuck.
- You should unplug the keyboard and mouse to the computer, attach them again, and perform the system restart.
- Now, only unplug the keyboard; if the mouse works fine in the keyboard’s absence, you should be sure that the fault is in the keyboard.
If you’re sure Keyboard is working fine, but still you can’t click Anything on Desktop in Windows 10. Now, move to the next step.
3. Check Your Mouse and mouse software
You should check whether the Mouse is working. Unplug the mouse and connect another mouse to the computer, and check if this mouse works fine. If you found a problem with the mouse, you should replace the mouse with a new one.
Check Mouse Software
If you’re using third-party software to customize the mouse, this software might be the issue of this problem.
Close the Mouse customizing software using Task Manager, unplug the mouse, connect it again to the computer, and see if the mouse starts working.
4. Install pending driver updates
To connect any device to the computer, Device drivers are required. If the Device driver is too old and not compatible with the current Windows version, you might face this issue.
And if, your computer is running on old Windows 10 version, you must update to latest version.
You should check for updates and install the updates if there are pending updates that are to be installed.
- Open the Windows 10 settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- Click the check for updates.
- Windows will check for the update, and show you the list of the updates that are to be installed.
- Click the download button to download and install the update.
Once the update is finished, restart the computer, and then check if the problem went away.
Now, I hope you’re able to click on anything on desktop. If you still have any problem, fell free to comment below.