When you try to run a program that requires the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file. Then, you get a system error message “The program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer.”
Generally, these types of errors occur due to missing DLL files. However, we can easily tackle this error by installing the missing DLL file. But before doing anything, you should know about the DLL file.
DLL (Dynamic-link library) is a shared library concept in Windows operating system. Programs can use DLL files to provide functionality. If any specific DLL file is missing that is required to start the program, then you get an error message like “dll file is missing from your computer.”
Fix: Api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing
Fix 1: Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015
In this method, we’ll install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015. Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable is a collection of the DLL (Dynamic-link library) files required by programs.
- First of all, go to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable download website.
- Select language, then click the Download button.
- Select the system type x64(64-Bit) or x86(32-Bit), then click Next. (If you’re not sure about system type, check PC specs to confirm)
- It will start downloading automatically.
- Once the downloading is finished, double-click the vc_redist.x64.exe to run.
- Then, click Next, and then finish.
If Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 is already installed on your PC, then you will get a repair option when you run the setup. Click the repair button to reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable.
Fix 2: Install DLL File manually
In this method, we will manually download and install the missing DLL file. The following steps will show you how to do this.
- First of all, download the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file – Download Here.
- You’ll get a 64-bit and 32-bit DLL file, download the DLL file according to the System Architecture.
- Extract the downloaded Zip file, and then copy the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file.
- Now open the File Explorer and navigate to the C:/Windows/System32/downlevel.
- Here, paste the DLL file you copied.
Now start the program again and see if any error message display. If still, you’re getting the same error, now you need to place the DLL file into the C:/Windows/SysWOW64/downlevel directory. Copy the DLL file and then paste it into the SysWOW64/downlevel directory.
Reboot your PC, then start the program again. If the problem still occurs, then you need to register the DLL file through the command prompt.
Open the Command Prompt admin, and then run the following in the command prompt.
command: regsvr32 api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
Hopefully, now everything is working fine.